Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Education and Music Classes

One of the principles for self-reliance is education. Church leaders have counseled members to get all of the education they can. This is easy for me since I am still in school and teach as well. However, there are many other disciplines where I am still learning. I have the black thumb of death, and can't seem to keep plants alive. I am trying to learn so I can begin my own garden this fall. (Maybe this will be a topic for the next meeting, with someone who has experience presenting...let me know if you are interested!) I think no matter what position you are in whether it is formal education or informal, there is always time to learn and grow. President Hinckley speaks of education in the following quote:

"Get all the education you can, I wish to say to the young people. Cultivate skills of mind and hands. Education is the key to opportunity. The Lord has placed upon you, as members of this Church, the obligation to study and to learn of things spiritual, yes, but of things temporal also. Acquire all of the education that you can, even if it means great sacrifice while you are young. You will bless the lives of your children. You will bless the Church because you will reflect honor to this work" (Gordon B. Hinckley, Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley [1997], 172).


My biggest challenge is fitting in the spiritual education. I need to get better about that. Does anyone have any suggestions on how they fit scripture reading into their daily schedules?

On another note, I believe in providing many learning opportunities for children at a young age. Last summer we took Cailyn to Kindermusik classes where she was able to learn about music and sign language. She absolutely loved it.

I received an e-mail last night that Kindermusik will now take place at the Villages at Queen Creek Clubhouse on Saturdays only. There are classes geared towards 18 months to 7 years. I am definitely enrolling Cailyn now that it is closer and works with my work schedule. It is a pretty affordable program. Just thought I would pass this information along because I was so excited to be able to get Cailyn back into this program! The website is http://www.kmwithdianaalbert.com/ and her phone number is 480-987-1020.

Now I need to get to learning! Hope this helps someone.

No comments: