Thursday, July 17, 2008

Coupon Organizing

Coupon Binder:

I use a binder with baseball card holders to organize my coupons. They can be found at Target and Wal-Mart near the baseball cards for about $5/pack. It is a easy visual way to see all of my coupons quickly.

Here are the categories I use for my binder:

Baking
Beverages
Boxed Foods
Breads and Grains
Candy
Canned
Cereal
Condiments/Spices
Deli and Meat
Diet and Nutrition
Frozen
Refigerated
Snacks

Cleaning
Feminine Care
Hair Care
Make-Up
Miscellaneous
Oral Care
Paper
Razors
Restaurants
Rx
Skin Care
Soap and Deoderant
Store Coupons

Baby

Pet Care

The first half is food items. The second half is non food items. I used printer labels and placed them on the actual card holder pages. Some like to use dividers, but I think they take up too much space in my already large binder.

I have a small coupon organizer labeled by store that I put my coupons in when I go shopping. I got it for $1 at the Dollar Spot in Target. I believe they still have them there with the back to school supplies. I also have a small one simply devoted to CVS. I have each transaction separted in that organizer and keep all of my CVS CRTs and ECBs in that one.

More on Organizing:

I don't clip all of my coupons. I only clip the ones that I know I will more than likely use. I ask myself if it is something we get a great price on, would I buy it? I will also clip coupons I know I can give to others, or use for charitable donations.

I don't throw away the coupons I did not clip. I have a hanging file folder bin that I got at Wal-Mart for around $8 and I have about 25 file folders. Each week I label a folder with the date of the inserts and place those unclipped coupons in the bin. That way if there is something I want to use that I didn't clip I can easily find it. Pinchingyourpennies.com has a great sortable coupon list (this one originates here in AZ). Click here to get to the list. I can easily see if I have a coupon and which week and insert it came out in. Here are the abbreviations for the inserts:

SS=Smartsource
V=Valassis
RP=RedPlum
P&G=Proctor&Gamble
Money Saving Mom has a great way that she organizes her coupons. Click here to see her method.
Click here to see how another couponer uses a binder. (I would upload my own pics, but I still can't find the cord to my camera...).
You have to do what works for you. Some people don't like the binder because they think it takes too much time. I don't think it takes much time, mainly because I don't clip every single coupon from the paper. I usually file them while I am watching TV.
Happy Clipping!

3 comments:

The Whatcott Fam said...

I love the binder method as well. Buy the baseball card holders at Walmart--they're $1.03 cheaper than Target!! :)

Connie said...

I haven't seen them at Walmart, I need to look harder! Where do I go to find the PYP coupon list each week? Their website is a little confusing...can you guide me?! Thanks!!

Living Providently said...

They should be right by where all of the trading cards and baseball cards are. Near the front of the store I believe. I know at Target they are near the quick checkouts. If you are having trouble with the coupon list, try clicking on "click here for sortable list". It lists the current coupons by date and you can quickly do a search to find a coupons location. HTH