Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Article "Lay Up in Store"

I always feel good that I am on my way towards working on a nice stockpile, but knowing that I have what I need for my family helps me sleep at night.

This article is addressed to priesthood holders, but has great points for everyone.

Here are some highlights quotes I liked from the article:

From President James E. Faust, Second Counselor, we hear: "Every father and mother are the family's storekeepers. They should store whatever their own family would like to have in the case of an emergency . . . [and] God will sustain us through our trials."14

From President Thomas S. Monson, First Counselor, we hear: "Many more people could ride out the storm-tossed waves in their economic lives if they had their year's supply of food . . . and were debt-free. Today we find that many have followed this counsel in reverse: they have at least a year's supply of debt and are food-free."15

From President Gordon B. Hinckley, the Lord's prophet, we hear:
"The best place to have some food set aside is within our homes. . . .

"We can begin ever so modestly. We can begin with a one week's food supply and gradually build it to a month, and then to three months. . . . I fear that so many feel that a long-term food supply is so far beyond their reach that they make no effort at all.

"Begin in a small way, . . . and gradually build toward a reasonable objective."16

Click here to read the article.

I am thankful that my husband doesn't think I am completely crazy with my OCD (obsessive coupon disorder). He knows that I am supporting him in our family's preparedness plan and that this allows us to help and serve others through these hard times we are all facing.

I love the way that the church is now focusing on telling members to work on a small supply first and then gradually building. Buying more than what you need when it is at its cheapest is a great way to do this. Plus, when you start building up your short term supply, you can then focus on also getting long term supply. I have a small budget every month that goes to our long term supply. I either order from www.beprepared.com, or straight from the church, I order a few cases of #10 cans. They have wheat, pinto beans, rice, and quick oats that is delivered straight to your doorstep. Click here to shop through the LDS Catalog.

Don't forget our meeting on July 22 where we will discuss using our food storage supply. Click here for details.

No comments: